If romance is your thing (how can it not be, with Valentine’s Day just around the corner?) and you’re looking for a romantic place to whisky your loved one away to, look no further. We’ve curated the best, most beautiful hotels in India that offer couples privacy, a peaceful vibe, charming surroundings and scope for loads of romance.
1. Neemrana Fort Palace, Neemrana: My personal favourite has to be on the top of this list! Located about an hour and a half outside of Delhi, Neemrana Fort Palace exemplifies beauty and grace. Its charming architecture will leave you weak in the knees – and the hospitality will make you feel really special. A handy hint: If you look around, there are some lovely undiscovered terraces to spend quiet evenings with your loved one. If you’re up for a bit of adventure too, go ziplining over the fort – the views are insane!
2. Ahilya Fort, Maheshwar, Madhya Pradesh: One of the most underrated holiday destinations for couples, this was the one-time palace of Maratha queen Ahilya Bai Holkar. The quaint décor, stunning views and air of elegant nostalgia will steal your heart. Be sure to book soon, as there are only 13 rooms (all wonderfully restored) which fill up pretty quickly. Feast in the moveable restaurant on delicious fare cooked using the royal family’s traditional recipes.
3. Butt’s Clermont Houseboats, Srinagar: Could there be a more beautiful destination for a romancing couple than the glorious Dal Lake? Bull Clermont’s Houseboats are permanently anchored in a peaceful corner of Dal Lake (away from the hustle and bustle). They are works of art themselves, built from cedar wood, intricately carved and adorned with beautiful traditional artefacts. Laze about on the boat’s veranda, enjoy the dazzling golden sunset and take in the view of the snowy peaks in the distance – could life be any more perfect?
4. The Oberoi Vanyavilas, Ranthambore: If your better half and you enjoy a walk amid the wilderness, this is a great option. This hotel combines high-end luxury with adventure – it is located just ten minutes away from the Ranthambore Tiger Reserve. It will be a holiday to remember – wake up at the crack of dawn to drive into the reserve, spend the day tiger spotting (hopefully you will get lucky!) and then retire to your luxurious tent. Spend the evening unwinding under the crimson sky with a few drinks or a couple’s massage.
5. Barefoot at Havelock, The Andamans: Many of us have The Andaman Islands on our bucket list – and rightfully so! From scuba diving to trekking or soaking in the local culture, there is just so much to do. Barefoot is a unique concept hotel located on the famous Beach No. 7 at Havelock. Constructed using environmentally sensitive indigenous materials, this is the first and only ecologically friendly resort in the Andaman Islands. Surrounding the hotel are pristine tropical forests and endless virgin stretches of sand. Havelock will let you discover the tranquility you seek and be charmed forever.
6. Taj Falaknuma Palace, Hyderabad: My husband and I had visited this glorious palace hotel a few years ago on my birthday – and ever since, we’ve been sworn fans. Falaknuma means "Like the Sky" or "Mirror of the Sky" in Urdu – and is perched on a hill 2000-feet above the city of Hyderabad. It was the one-time palace of the Nizam of Hyderabad and today operates as one of the most exclusive hotels in the country – you need a prior reservation to even enter its premises. Plan a special meal in the open veranda that overlooks the city.
7. Wildflower Hall, Shimla: Perched at an absolutely dizzying altitude of 8,250 feet, Wildflower Hall epitomises panoramic views. Even better, it is situated within twenty-two acres of mountainside cedar forest. The beautiful Wildflower Hall in Shimla transports you to a different era, bringing together old-world charm and elegance with the opportunity to embrace nature. The hotel itself is a vision to behold as a stunning example of stately British colonial architecture with a historic context to match – it was Lord Kitchener’s residence, back when he was Commander-in-Chief of India. Guests can refresh themselves with nature walks, rafting, cycling or yoga, or relax and rejuvenate with an exclusive spa therapy.
8. Ri Kynjai Serenity By The Lake, Shillong: The Abode of Clouds, Shillong is already a paradisiacal hideout that makes the perfect destination for romantic vacations for couples. Ri Kynjai Serenity By The Lake assures an enchanting experience for lovebirds with its breath-taking settings – the lakeview (which also gives the hotel its name) is worth every penny. Come here to titillate your taste buds to authentic Khasi cuisine, rejuvenate with traditional spa treatments, and hail the beauty of nature with your loved one by your side. When you’re on exploration mode, go on treks in the verdant hills.
9. Machan, Lonavala: If you’re looking for a quick trip close to Mumbai, Lonavala is definitely an option to consider. Machan is an eco-resort located in Lonavala, featuring tree houses nestled about 35 meters above the woods. If you ever had a childhood dream of living in a tree house (like I did!) this is just the place for you. Excitingly, the resort is located in Jambulne, which is among the 25 biological hotspots in the world. This makes it the perfect combination of novelty, romance and nature.
10. Taj Lake Palace, Udaipur: This list would be incomplete without this beautiful, spectacular luxury hotel with an enviable location. We’ve all known and loved it – and yet, we simply cannot get enough of it.
So what are you waiting for? Plan a super romantic getaway with your partner today!
Photos courtesy: Respective hotels
LiveInStyle.com encourages you to celebrate responsibly