Short movies are used by independent artists, big studios, and artists-next-door alike to try out new concepts and technologies and at the same time advertise their skills. More often than not it ends up being a just a mantel piece in everyone's demo reel but sometimes, something genius comes along, shatters all these notions and a cult masterpiece is born.
So here’s a tour-de-force through my list of 5 short from last year that you can't afford to miss. You can watch the movies in the post itself. Have fun!
1. Rosa : Rosa is an epic science fiction short film that throws us into a post-apocalyptic world where all flora and fauna has been lost to war. “From the destruction awakes Rosa, a cyborg deployed from the Kernel project, mankind’s last attempt to restore the earth’s ecosystem.”
2. R’ha : Made by a 22 year old student, single handedly over course of his University time, it kinda makes you wonder what will this guy give us when he has big studio backing. Based on age old premise “What if Machines rose and revolted against their Creators” but the surprise in the sack is that even the creators are four limbed, reptilian aliens.
3. Secret Number: A psychologist’s world is thrown into turmoil when his reality is questioned by a presumably mad but certainly genius mathematician. He claims the number “Bleem” exists between integers 3 and 4 and the whole universe is conspiring against the discovery of Bleem. With subtle homage to Hitchcock in his shots, this one will certainly make you think, What if...?
4. Mobius : A journalist hears about supernatural events occurring in the “Zone of Silence” in Mexico and what he sees there makes him run for his life. If you are fan of the TV series “Revolution”, you might just identify the journalist.
5. Dark Side of Lens : A photographer’s story as he captures amazing shots of caves , mountains, sea waves, underwater, dolphins and everything in between. As he aptly puts it “I never set out to become anything... but to live creatively”
6. Our Planet Earth: Though not strictly a short movie, it’s amazing nevertheless. It’s made by stitching a lot of images from International Space station.
So this is it from my side, next time I will be back with more interesting videos from around the world!Article By:
Shashank Singh is a Technology Geek who loves Sci-Fi and Whodunnit Thrillers. He is fascinated by how technology is changing the storytelling on Screen. In his spare time, he runs MonkeyCamp - a CGI / Special Effects junkies hub to look at independent shorts, brand new TV Series & awesome Sci-Fi concept art!