Scotch lovers around the world have sometime in their life sipped the iconic Johnnie Walker scotch whisky. The fine blends of the brand are sure to have impressed you. And if you are a part of the Johnnie Walker loyalists group, here are 5 things about the brand that you need to know before you say cheers the next time!
1. John Walker was a farmer: The man that gave Johnnie Walker its name – John Walker was actually a farmer who sold his family farm in 1819 in order to start a grocery store in Kilmarnock, Scotland. While most grocery stores were selling single malts that was not consistent, John, a master whisky blender, produced consistent blends that gained popularity.
2. The first commercial blend: ‘Old Highland Whisky,’ Johnnie Walker’s first commercial blend was launched in 1867 by Alexander Walker, John’s son. He also made the smart move of making his whisky available to more people by sending bottles off in ships. This made the blends popular all around the world.
3. The logo: A famous illustrator called Tom Browne sketched the logo of a striding man over lunch one day and Alexander II and George (Sons of Alexander Walker) adopted it. If you’ve noticed the label, you’ll know that it is slant. But did you know that this was done on purpose to make it look distinguished. The label is slant by precisely 24 degrees.
4. The colours: Johnnie Walker whisky is available in many variants. In 1909, Alexander II and George, sons of Alexander Walker renamed their new range of whiskies after the colourful labels used to identify the blends. That is when Johnnie Walker Red Label and Johnnie Walker Black Label were born. There’s also a Johnnie Walker Blue Label, Johnnie Walker Gold Label Reserve, Johnnie Walker Double Black and Johnnie Walker Platinum Label now. Recently, they also launched a limited-edition White Walker by Johnnie Walker in anticipation of the final season of the popular HBO show Game Of Thrones.
5. A world-famous whisky: Not only has Johnnie Walker appeared in many classic movies such as the Blade Runner, it has also been termed the “iconic whisky of the future.” In fact, Johnnie Walker is the most popular whisky brand in the world and its slogan – Keep Walking was adopted to embrace progress and optimism.
Images courtesy: Johnnie Walker Instagram, JohnnieWalker.com