- 10 ml Signature whiskey
- 10 ml cherry brandy
- 10 ml red vermouth
- Orange juice
Blood and Sand is a Scotch cocktail named after Rudolph Valentino’s block buster film from 1922, where he played the role of a bullfighter. The original recipe of this cocktail is found in the 1930 edition ofthe Savoy Cocktail Book. Scotch and Red Vermouth are used to give a unique red-brown hue to this mix.
Scotch and Vermouth add a sweetish smoky flavour to this drink. Cherry Brandy is added to make it slightly tart. You can also replace the Brandy with Cherry Heering. Some bartenders top the cocktail with orange juice to make it more fruity and delicious. The original version of Blood and Sand is served in a Martini Glass. The fruity variants are served in a medium Tall Glass or Collins Glass. Whisky is used instead of Scotch in a few tropical variants of this cocktail. Fresh pieces of orange are also added to make the mix tangy. Serve Blood and Sand Scotch and Whisky Cocktail chill.
- This fruity cocktail is served shaken.
- Fill a Cocktail Shaker with 3 to 4 ice cubes and pour the three spirits into it.
- Shake the ingredients thoroughly, until the shaker becomes frosted from the outside.
- Strain and pour the ingredients into a Medium Tall Glass or Collins Glass.
- Top up the mix with lots of Orange juice.
- Garnish the cocktail with pieces of orange.
- The orange juice poured on top of the shaken spirits gives this cocktail a layered look.