Cocktails on the Fly: Easy, Airplane Friendly Hacks
If you love to travel to faraway lands, you are sure to feel very strongly about long-haul flights. Either you love them (time to yourself as you sleep off or watch a movie marathon) or detest them (uh, boring!) In either case, there’s something that can make your in-flight experience even better – cocktails on board. Instead of sticking to the standard offering of alcoholic beverages, we show you easy tricks to make some great drinks on board. Presenting, seven super easy, airplane friendly cocktails!
1. Sangria: This delicious cocktail of wine and chopped fruit is everyone’s favourite.
In-flight hack: You need red wine, orange juice and cranberry juice. Over ice, pour red wine, orange juice, and cranberry juice. Stir and enjoy this cocktail.
2. Hot Toddy: A hot toddy is a great cocktail to make if you have a sore throat or prefer a hot drink.
In-flight hack: Let a cup of black tea steep for a few minutes, and then pour in Black Dog Whisky to taste. A packet of honey is preferred and will help coat the throat, but if your flight attendant doesn't have honey, a packet of sugar will suffice. If available, lemon juice will take this hot toddy to the next level.
3. Whisky Sour: A good classic that you simply cannot go wrong with - a drink to savour as you catch a great movie in-flght.
Inflight hack: All you need is some great Johnnie Walker whisky plus a little lemon juice squeezed from the little lemon wedges they have, some sugar (that you have to let dissolve, which requires patience), and ice. Mix and say cheers! You can also adapt this recipe to make an Old Fashioned cocktail (just carry some bitters on board).
4. Moscow Mule: Usually a cocktail that needs several ingredients, it tastes equally good in its downsized, in-flight avataar
In-flight hack: In a glass with ice, mix some Smirnoff Vodka with regular club soda. Add lime juice and ginger ale. Finish it up with a wedge of lime.
5. Daiquiri: This is what I think of as my escape drink. It always makes me feel like I'm someplace tropical – which is ideal, when you’re on a plane.
In-flight hack: In a glass with ice, add white rum. In a separate glass, create a mixture of lime juice with a cube of sugar. Mix both and stir well. Garnish with a wedge of lime (so fancy). Feel free to try this recipe with different juice flavours added in too.
6. Bloody Mary: Boozy breakfast in a glass. Morning flights become that much brighter with the help of this classic brunch cocktail.
In-flight hack: Forget the complicated spices and stick to the basics – tomato juice, Smirnoff Vodka, ice, a dash of Tobasco sauce and lime.
7. Gimlet: A quick, refreshing cocktail for your long haul flight.
In-flight hack: In a cup with ice, add a dash of Tanqueray Gin. In a second cup, mix hot water and sugar to create a sugar solution. Mix the two cups and add lime on the top.
8. Irish Coffee: Boozy coffee is perfect for a long flight – combining two favourite adult beverages seamlessly!
In-flight hack: Take a peg of whiskey and add it to a cup of coffee about 3/4 of the way full. Add a packet of sugar to the coffee and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Add two creamers to the coffee and say cheers.
LiveInStyle.com encourages you to Drink Responsibly!